Tuesday, March 07, 2006

And the Bertie goes to...



Shaun!

He is so excited bless him. The most hilarious part of it was that he chose Crash as winning best picture and all of us, to a man, had picked Brokeback Mountain. So there we were...one more Oscar to be announced, Shaun was on 18 correct and Danny was on 17. "Oooh deeeeear" we were all shaking our heads and sympathising. "Shaun's going to be kicking himself that he picked Crash now. Went with his heart and not his head. He's going to have to share the prize with Danny now." Best Picture noms are announced. "And the Oscar goes to..." We wait for the inevitable. "...Crash!" Well I leapt forward in my seat, shouting "No!!" with this incredulous grin on my face. None of us could believe it! So instead of levelling with Danny, Shaun pulled clear ahead by two points. And I'll tell you...he was SO excited when he got up the next morning (the lightweight...no staying up half the night for him!) and saw Crash had won. I awoke (after 4 1/2 hours sleep) to find this email from the victor:

Please accept this e-mail as an oppotunity to gloat!!

I'd like to thank all those that were laughing their heads off (all of you) when my
nomination for best picture came in.

I see this as a victory for the guy who actually watches the movies in question (no offense Chrissie. I know you are busy with your scrapbooking!)

Cheeky swine! So £30 on an HMV gift card and the Bertie are heading to Reading. And Shaun is promising that he will definitely join us here next year to defend his title.

As for me, I came 5th. Clare and Katie were joint bottom (in Clare's words when she rang right after the ceremonies, "I suck!" LOL). Rob and Simon were 3rd and 4th, and Danny 2nd.


As for the show itself...George Clooney winning best supporting actor was fab (I didn't think he would get it, so hadn't voted for him, but was so pleased). It gave me, at the very least, an opportunity oggle his eye-candiness! Meryl Streep and Lilly Tomlin were absolutely hilarious presenting the Honarary Oscar to Robert Altman. Charlize, Charlize, Charlize...that dress was NOT good. And I was completely irritated by Reese Witherspoon. Best dress of the evening for me was Jennifer Lopez's. GORgeous. And let's hear it for Wallace & Gromit...lovely bit of Wensleydale!


Now all I've got to do is see most of the films. Ho hum.

1 comment:

Jools said...

LOL! That's exactly what I said after I watched the highlights show - "now I must get around to seeing all those movies!".

And the eye candy for me? Ooooh, it's got to be Joaquin Phoenix, yum, yum!