Thursday, February 15, 2007

Be sure, your sins will find you out

Yesterday I felt rough as a donkey's bottom and by 6 o'clock I had no energy, a child who needed a bath as she was beginning to resemble a guttersnipe, and a mother and daughter who were starting to chew their arm off they were so hungry and, oh yes, no energy. Not to mention that my house looked like something off of 'How Clean is Your House?' And I don't mean at the end of the show either. Kim and Aggie would have been walking around tutting, oh the shame. That's what happens when you've been ill for...blimey, how long has it been...? Two weeks. All of this, and Danny was working till 9. *pitiful sob*

I caved. I finally called a friend of mine from Church and said "Heeeeelp. I'm overwheeeeelmed" and she came right over. Bless her. While I made my mum and Celyn a bit of dinner, she emptied all my bins, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, tidied the living room (even cleaning a bit of the carpet where Celyn had spilt something), and vacuumed my kitchen, living room, dining room, hall, stairs and landing. While I tidied up the toys from Celyn's bedroom, she ran Celyn a bath, cleaned the sink and toilet (and even part of the skirting board...that really is going the extra mile!), and then vacuumed Celyn's bedroom and the bathroom. She folded some of my laundry and transported dirty laundry from upstairs into the utility room. I even got a couple of encouraging hugs as she was working, and the pleasure of a good chat and her lovely company.

I did insist however that she leave before Husband got home (he's very friendly with her as well, but is of the opinion that one does not ask for help, no no no). He would only say that my actions were demeaning or somesuch rubbish and take the shine off it (if you'll forgive the atrocious pun). So off she tripped with a merry wave and a bar of Green & Black's Milk Chocolate in her hand, and 10 minutes later Danny arrived home to a house of calm, a clean child, and tidiness all around. I didn't liiiiiiiie. I just didn't mention that she'd been.

However.

This morning as I was about to take Celyn out to school, Husband said *with a bit of a smile*... "So. Did you clean the house all by yourself last night?"
I laughed and said good naturedly, "Well, who else helped me? The House Fairies?!! Hardy har har."
He pressed further. "So. You didn't have any help then?"
"Why do you ask?" I trilled, in a 'what a very very terribly FUNNY question ho ho ho don't be daft' manner. "The House Fairies ARE my best friends after all. Hardy har har."
He got to the nitty gritty (he really should have considered work as a lawyer). "So. Are you saying then that you definitely did not have any help last night then?" *beginning to laugh at me with a slight accusatory tone, the pig*
I was cornered. I did what any self-respecting woman would do and said, "Ooo...come on Celyn, get your coat...here you go...right...come on, come on...we'll be late. Byeeeeeeee" and skidaddled my backside out of there.

Rats!

When I was taking Celyn's coat off in the nursery cloakroom, I said nonchalantly, "Ummm...did you tell Daddy that Ann came over last night then Celyn?"

Picture the innocent eyes gazing up at you...

"Yeeeeees. Why Mummy?"

Rats and double rats. I'm rumbled.

Ah well...I don't care. It was sooooo worth it. I got up this morning feeling like I wanted to saw my head off (sore throat, sore headache) but life was just so much better because my house was normal again. Huzzah!

8 comments:

Nat said...

I'll clean your loo anytime for a bar of Green & Blacks milky gloriousness :D Awww what a friend you have there. xxx

Chrissie said...

Deal! LOL!

SmileyCarrie said...

Awww.. poor you Chrisie!! But what a wonderful friend you have! So sweet!!

Take care of yourself... and feel better very soon! *hugs*

Taniwha said...

So glad you got some help mate. What a good friend she is, there's no way I'd be coming into your germ ridden house without a Michael Jackson mask ;)

Chrissie said...

LOL!!! I must admit she did look a bit perturbed when I opened the door to her coughing in a 'I'm REALLY trying to stop but I can't' manner.

Kim said...

What a wonderful word "guttersnipe". I have a house fairy that visits sometimes(but not often enough) My sister was temporarily booted out of her house ( she was having laminate flooring laid) so she turned up on my doorstep, and after the obligatory cup of coffee and catch up, she offered to clean. Well I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I immediately said YES!. Two hours later, with a shiny kitchen and a mountain of ironing done, she left. " Come back soon Sis!"

Veronica said...

What a great friend - can you send her to me please? I have lots of choccy she could have cos i am on a diet lol.
OH deserves a good kick teasing you like that. Just say to him that if he had helped you more then you wouldn't have had to ask her for help!! Doesn't matter if its not true !That will shut him up lololol

Andrea said...

That's an awesome friend you have. And too bad kids are so honest eh? That's too funny.