Monday, October 30, 2006

Scrapping...my aaaaarse!

Went to the South Wales Crop on Saturday and had a great day. For the first time in...well...ever...the whole Scrappers Unlimited team were under the same roof. And oooo we did have a laaaaaaaaugh.

Scene: I'm taking Nattie's class (loooooovely autumnul layout with the very very strokeable new Crate Paper) but as usual am trying to do three things at once...one of which is chatter. I've been cutting out rectangles with the help of Sue who is losing the will to live as I'm asking her to repeat the size of the rectangles about 3 times (at least) as I'm going. And we've been sanding all pieces of paper to within an inch of its life.

Me: Right. What am I doing?

Sue (sighing and muttering about, 'Please don't make me sit next to this woman at the retreat'): This rectangle...you need to sand the edges.

Me (obediently picking up said rectangle and starting to sand): Okay

Sue: Round the corners

Me (obediently sanding around the corners of the rectangle with vigour, like a good girly)

Sue (and Julia): No...! ROUND. The CORNERS.

Me (noticing my corner rounder lying in front of me on the table and having a bit of an epiphany): Oh.

At this point one corner of the room (i.e. that would be the corner where I was sitting) all erupt into hooting, howling, gales of laughter. Including me.

Scrapping humour.

You won't get that at all unless you scrap.

And talking of laughing, big huge thumbs up for The Royle Family last night. I had one of those very rare moments whilst watching the brand new episode which is down to the most fantastic writing of Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash. In fact, the only other time I've ever had the same experience as this was whilst watching the film Steel Magnolias.

So...Nana's rushed to hospital after some very funny and also very very touching moments previous to this, and dies. It's completely brilliant writing because they got it right on the money...I was in floods and floods of tears, near to full on weeping. Cut to next scene and they (and several family friends) are back in their living room after the funeral, sitting quietly eating and drinking. I'm weeping away, trying very hard not to make a complete pansy out of myself because Husband is sat one foot away, when the camera starts to pan across all the guests sitting on the sofa. And as it goes past Cheryl (the girl next door who's always on a diet), she's sat there in full funeral black, with a Hula Hoop on each finger, mournfully sliding each one into her mouth. And my tears instantly changed to full on wetting myself with laughter.

10 out of 10 for comic genius.

Oh. And also one of the funniest lines...

Mary (I think): What were Nana's last words?

Barb (very earnestly): Trevor MacDonald

Mary: Well that's a fine tribute to the man.

9 comments:

hair bear said...

It was so funny was'nt it.l.o.l.

hair bear said...

oh and by the way derrrrrrr(corner rounder)derrrrrrrrrrr

Deborah Duck said...

My mum and dad bear a very strong resemblance to Jim and Barb, in both looks and behaviour. My dad has been known to sit in his chair and wait for mum to come home from work to make him a cup of tea, and then complaining because he's been "gasping" all morning! He also finished the wallpapering in the lounge two years after starting it, because I was bringing DH home for the first time, and he did have an absolute hissy fit when Hannah took the batteries out of his remote controls to put in her game boy.

And the funniest line on the show was:

Denise: "Mum, can you have little David for me on Friday".
Barb: "Yes of course, till what time?"
Denise: "Monday."

Chrissie said...

Your dad sounds hilarious! Does he play the banjo?? LOL

And that line was also a cracker of a pee-myself-laughing howler

Sally said...

also, Nana telling Barbara what they someone had eaten at a restaurant
"She had Soup of the Day", pause, "It was Friday".
lol. absolutely brilliant.

Tracie H said...

Just nipping in to say thanks for the hug....Linz delivered it just at the right time - hopefully I'll get a RL one very soon :)
Txx

Chrissie said...

Actually peeing myself laughing about that!

Anonymous said...

Hehe twas funny wasn't it?! :o)

Carole Bryson said...

I p'd my pants watching it - soooo sooo funny.

Chrissie - my dad played the banjo !! :(

Agree with Debs the friday to monday line was an absolute classic !!!