Sunday, October 01, 2006

Queen of Nattering

I often say that scrapbooking is either:

(a) Nursery school for adults (you know...cutting and sticking, painting and glittering, and even rolling out Playdough (clay) every now and again). There's even snack time and playing shops! LOL But I really do think that's why we like it...we just feel like kids again, playing happily in the art corner.

or

(b) Just a very good excuse for women to get together and natter. Husband despairs of me sometimes and doesn't really understand what in heck I can talk about for hours on end, because I really can natter for Britain (IRL, by phone, by Instant Message, by UK Scrappers...you name it). Women generally can fill a whole day just natter natter nattering. However I really think it makes us more psychologically robust, in that we don't think we're completely crazy for all our strange habits or experiences (twitch twitch).

So here's to a lovely Nursery School Nattering Day on Saturday at Crafty Pastimes. I was up at 6.15 (I did mention this SEVERAL times throughout the day, as usually I don't even know that there are actually two 6.15s in a day and was a bit shellshocked by the whole getting up with the larks experience) and picked up Debbie on my way past Cardiff. And before you knew it we were pulling up outside the hall with 1 minute to spare before the workshop began. I always feel very anxious walking into a hall with lots of new people, so I often over-compensate for my nerves and am either too loud or too confident (looking). I hope...I try...to always remember this when I'm the one in charge, as ALL people just want to feel accepted and greeted with a genuine smile, n'est ce pas?

The first class was by Kirsty which was cool...a 6x6 album created almost entirely from found items (cardboard, CD cases, paint, paper bags, cable ties). I finished it in that it's all put together (which I like because I NEVER have any time at home to really finish off these things and then all the bits get lost and I never finish them). I do (must) need to find time to froo and fuss over it so that I've got piccies and prettiness all over it, and then I'll post a photo of it. But here are pics of Debbie and the hilarious Helen (who had me giggling all morning) working on this little book of delights. Well, actually Debbie's working on tearing cardboard, and Nina and Helen are slobbering all over Emily's book. The dribble probably added to the bohemian nature of it all...and anyway, the cover is acetate so it had a waterproof quality about it. Nina kept making primeval noises EVERY time Kirsty or Emily's projects came round our side of the room. Funny as heck!

The second project was by Emily Falconbridge - another cool book made from acetate and ribbon and lots of arty farty things. I loved the masking tape and paint technique she taught us (MUST use that again). This book was most decidedly NOT finished and I'm scared, scared, SCARED I tell thee, because it may never be. Should I just get up at 6.15 every day and make it my scrapping time (I am a morning girly-girl after all...I don't function very well after 9pm!)??? Votes on the back of a big parcel of stash and sent to the usual address please :D (bwaahaahaaa).

Now, it transpired (I had my sneaking suspishes) that Ms. Falconbridge is a member of the same church I belong to, and as I was making my book all about the beautiful temples I have been to in my life, her daughter Ivy (who was a cutie and wore her princess crown all day - how great is that?!) enjoyed a little peek at them all and we talked about which ones she'd seen too...and I got to chat churcy stuff with Emily. AND (AND!) she's staying in Reading (yes, that would be MY HOME TOWN) AND (AND!) not only Reading, but in CAVERSHAM in Reading (yes, that would be MY SUBURB of my home town) because that's where her family live. Yep, yep, yep...me and E...we're *crosses fingers* like 'that'. What can I say. Yep, yep, yep.

*Stalker, stalker, stalker*

Have to say though...it was just as fine meeting the lovely (and I do mean that) Hebe whose work I have admired for ages (well, a few months!). She was a lovely person...it just shone through her face. Liked her. And I also at long blinkin' last met Jools who've I've 'known' for ages (genuinely ages) and talked to on the phone - she even lives in one of my best friends' old houses in a weird turn of events. Well, I would post a pic of us both that I took but I look more like Mrs Fat Face in all of them than I even am in the 'me, Emily and Debbie' photo here...(wha'dya mean, I AM Mrs Fat Face???!!) so it's not happening. Forget it. No no no. My ego can only cope with one cack photo of me in a post.
It was also great to meet two of the many (many MANY) Julies who are coming to the Gloucester retreat (in 4 1/2 weeks...eek!), and Nic (who's coming to the Gloucester retreat). And see Hair Bear Ang and Linz who are ALSO coming to the Gloucester retreat. So it was a pre-retreat party really.

Debbie and I then toddled off for a litle drive round the beautiful Cotswolds and sampled the dubious delights of Stroud. Is there anywhere in that town that one can eat something that is not a pizza, burger, or served with chips? We went in one Thai restaurant, sat down, ordered drinks, and then the waiter came and said, "Um...I'm sorry...the chef's gone to Cheltenham. We're trying to get hold of him, but I don't think he'll be back." Eh? Why is the restaurant open then?! Too funny! We both got free drinks out of it though...and then we went in another establishment around the corner that was filled with smoke (I don't think so...my very biggest peeve in the whole world. Can't wait till they bring in that smoking ban law) and so we then walked to another pub where the first thing we were greeted with was the manager having a ding-dong with a leary customer at the bar in a scary manner. So we ate food sitting in the garden, only to have the heavens open and have to rush with it all inside.

Stroud. Mmmm....

8 comments:

Kim said...

I think you look lovely in that photo.

Anonymous said...

Those photos are great Chrissie! :o)
Looks like you had a fab time. Hope you manage to finish off the projects!

Nat said...

Sounds like a fabbo day. But I too, must admit i am shocked at the bomb shell that there are actually two 6.15's in a day?! Who discovered that then?! xx

Taniwha said...

mmmmm.... Stroud. That's why I live up the top of one of the hills and can wave my hand in the general direction of Stroud and say 'oh yes Stroud, it's down there somewhere'.

And I do all my shopping online bwahahahahaha!

SmileyCarrie said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time!! And sounds like you were so productive! I love learning new things!

domestic goddess said...

so you er had a good time then hun?!!

Jools said...

And it was finally good (not finally good as it all the other times we met weren't good! LOL but as in "at last we met!") to meet you - even if all you did was sort of smile, say hi and then b***er off! :D

OK, I know you came back but still... ;)

Chrissie said...

In my defence, I was in the middle of a conversation with my new best friend (aka Emily) (BWAAHAAAHAAA) and was already feeling under pressure to leave the vicinity because it seemed like Kirsty wanted to start her class.

And I came back.

So nah.

LOL