Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mother Guilt

"I'm bored Mum"

The perennial whine of the summer school holidays child.... Poor Celyn. Danny has been up to his eyes busy getting his new business ready to go (I'll blog about that later). I've been up to my eyes with helping him, and all the other stuff that goes with running your own business and being a housewife and SAHM all mixed together. Honestly it's manic. And today I had the builders turn up (planned) to start work on our soon-t0-be patio *happy dance, happy dance*. Then friends from church turned up (not planned). And then, blow me down, my Auntie & Uncle (who live in Pembroke) turned up (yet again not planned). And then the phone rang as well. 6 visitors in my house, my quiet morning turning into mayhem and I was mentally rolling my eyes thanking the powers that be that I'd had the presence of mind to tidy and hoover that very morn. One visitor went to the loo and I had no toilet paper left in there however. Ho hum. He had to make do with kitchen roll cos I couldn't be tiddled to go upstairs for one.

So...the upshot of this is Celyn's done a few things these summer holidays. But she's bored after several days of not much going on for her. So I rang a school friend's mum to arrange a play date. School friend's mum and her 2 daughters were busy making chocolate chip cookies (you could hear girly giggling in the background). And unfortunately Celyn's friend, her mum explained, wasn't really available till next Monday because tomorrow they're going to Folly Farm (hands-on farm in Pembrokeshire...very fun), Thursday they're going to the beach, and Friday they are out somewhere else (I forget where). Fine...no problem of course...play date arranged for Monday.

And then I sat here and the guilt washed over me in waves. I'm such a crap mother! No chocolate chip moments in this house. No trips planned anywhere...and no time to take her on one anyway. Poor, poor child.

Sigh.

Sigh again.

*Chrissie wanders off feeling pooey*

7 comments:

Linz said...

Welcome to my world :)

Yet another one of the things that is making me feel crap.

Although tomorrow morning Sabrina has 3 of her friends coming over for a craft morning and then we are all off to the museum to make mini beasties. Finally (not a treat to many but my girls love going) is a visit to the dentist.

Do I know how to cram things into my day off or what :)

I always think that although I'm not doing all the things with them that some mums might, at least I am with them.

Chrissie said...

Oooh yeah...just remembered... we're all going to the dentist tomorrow...in CARDIFF (which is the closest NHS dentist I could get us in to ...pants eh?). And I can't remember what time. Can I count that as a fun day out? LOL

Kim said...

If you are going to Cardiff, why don't you call into Ikea, you don't have to shop for stuff,just put Celyn in the Creche for half an hour, and go and have a nice cup of coffee, Celyn will have a good time, you will have a break and everyone will be happy.That's what I am doing on Thursday. Although I will be doing a bit of shopping, some new dish brushes and some scissors ( last of the big spenders!!!!)

Deborah Duck said...

And you can have hot dogs and ice cream on the way out!

I don't actually agree with these parents who have full itineraries planned for their children over the holidays. I know Celyn is younger than mine, but they have to learn to entertain themselves at some point too.

Nat said...

Ooh Chrissie, glad I'm not the only person who has to trek to see an NHS dentist - mine's in Merthyr Tydfil as it's the only one I could find! If you ever fancy a good laff go for a drive along the heads of the valleys road after a root canal and while you're still all numb from the anaesthetic. Great stuff!!!
Don't feel guilty chicken about Celyn, I'm sure you'll find something to entertain her with :)

Chrissie said...

D'ya know what...I think I might give the Heads of the Valleys Root Canal thing a miss. Call me soppy.

LOL!

Shocking that we all have to travel so far to find a dentist we can afford eh? Maggie Thatcher's got a lot to answer for!

Chrissie said...

"I have a fabby dentist who is taking on NHS patients in the Uplands, it just isn't advertised" Guess it is now Gems - ROFL!!!