Wednesday, June 28, 2006

So, do you want the good news or the bad news?


The good news is that my album has been FOUND! As I was dropping Celyn off at nursery school this morning, her teacher came up to me and said, "Have you lost one of your scrapbooking photo albums in Reading?" Of course I was immediately bowled over by how she knew that and, more to the point, why she knew that. It turns out that a fella had found the album and seen Celyn's school name on her uniform and had rung the school (clever chap). My first thought was 'Thank goodness I called her Celyn and not some name like Amy or Hannah or any other number of names that are pretty common in any school.' Anyway, I left the playground whooping like a girly and went straight home to ring my hero. He was quite befuddled as to how my album had ended up in Burghfield Village when I live in Wales, but I soon explained my stooooooopidity with the car roof, ya-di-ya-di-ya. Burghfield Village, by the way, is about 3 miles from Burghfield Common where I was staying, so it clung on to the roof of the car for some way.

The bad news is that my album, it appears, was run over several times by various vehicles (I have visions of lorries smashing over it...*cringe*) and the pages were scattered all over the place and the album is completely unusable apparently. He said every page is damaged in some way. This rather dampened my joy, but hey...I've got the photos and the original work, so I can put most of it back together again.

My Burghfield friends are coming down here to visit in a couple of weeks anyway, so I shall see the damage myself then, although Judith's going to ring and give me a page by page breakdown when he drops the album off to her. Ah well...worse things happen at sea. And my faith in human nature is as strong as ever. He got out of his car and gathered up all of the pages, and then took the time to track me down because "I have little ones too and know how precious these memories are." Bless. Really I mean it...bless.

And the irony of the story. The man's name is Mr Welch (Welch...Welsh...geddit, geddit?).

6 comments:

Kim said...

wow!

Chrism said...

Chrissie what a lovely man - I am so pleased that you have it back even in the whatever state it may be in and well done to that man having brains to ring the school :) hugs and hope the damage isnt too much :)

Tina said...

What a huge relief! So glad the album is on it's way back to you: let's hope that some of it is salvageable.

Nat said...

Wow! What a guy - and what a stroke of luck! I'm sure you'll work your magic on what you get back :)

Gill said...

Chrissie I am so glad that you are getting your album back, I hope you have thanked that fnatstic man, I mean really really thanked him!!!!

I hope that th pages aren't too damaged, but as you say, you will be able to recreate them.

It has restored my faith in human nature too!! I always new that there were some good people left in this world.

I think that you should contact GMTV (or the like) get some free advertising for our obsession - sorry - hobby.

Deborah Duck said...

What brilliant news! I'm so pleased for you, what a nice nice man, maybe you can convert his wife to scrapping LOL.

When I lost my stuff out of the back of the car a cyclist saw it happen, picked it all up, and waited for me to come back and gave it all back to me. I could have kissed him!

Excellent idea of Gill's to contact the papers about it.