Thursday, May 18, 2006

Chavs

I had a run in with a chav today. I was trying to turn my car round after picking up Celyn from school (her school is in a cul-de-sac...Victorians didn't think about such things as cars when they built schools...such lack of vision, don'tchafink?). Anyway, it was proving a nightmare because people kept walking behind the car (it's got its reverse lights on and it's obviously horizontal in the road... but there you go - sigh). Anyway, fiiiiiiinally there was a space and I reversed the last foot I needed to get back, so I could do the 3 point turn, when I heard someone bang their fist on the back of the car. This lady (despite the fact that I'd been moving) had walked behind the car. Well, of course I was mortified. My head spun round immediately to apologise, but I was greeted with a string of obscenities worthy of a late night Channel 4 drama, many of which were of the four letter variety and starting with an alarming array of different letters.

Well, I just don't do people treating me like that, so I turned back and carried on moving the car round. She then came and banged on my window. "Wind your window down!! Wind your window down!!" she was yelling, peroxide blond hair flying about and a plethora of gold earrings jingling. Will I heck as like, I thought, imagining a fist leaving a sovereign ring indentation in my face. I did concede to lower it about 4 inches however. For my trouble (tsk!) I received another torrent of swear words, from which I couldn't get a word in edgewise (I don't think she even drew breath for about 6 sentences).

All this abuse, with swarms of children now flooding out of school all around her, and Celyn sat in the back of the car, looking on in (quite honestly) horror. We just don't ever talk to each other in such a way in our home, and she'd never seen the like of it. We even have a rule that Eastenders (etc.) is not watched if Celyn's up because we don't think the way they talk to each other in that (and all the other) soap(s) is appropriate for a 3 year old to be watching.

Anyhoo, as the chavette walked away I calmly said, "I'm sorry but I don't respond to people who shout and swear at me." She just carried on screeching as she walked off and Celyn said, "Mummy, that lady didn't listen to you" and then "and she didn't say sorry".

It really made me feel sad that people are so aggressive. A member of the Scrappers Unlimited team had a similar thing happen to them last week, except he opened her car door and it was a bloke, which must have been even more intimidating. She was completely shaken up for days after.

Ah well. I had a big hug off of Celyn when we got home "because that lady wasn't very nice to you". I'll turn the car round before I park tomorrow I think!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Well done for keeping your cool, don't know if could have in the same situation. I hate it when people swear in front of the children.

Sally said...

What an awful experience. What a dreadful woman to do that, but knowing you have a small child in the back and still shout and swear is unforgivable. I've one word for her - Karma.

Chrissie said...

I tried to talk to her today and she just started screeching before I could even get most of my sentence out (again a child was with her and I had two children in the back of my car this time). My friend who was with me in the car was gobsmacked!

Whatcanyadoeh?

Chrism said...

these are the sort of people you should just forget about honey, they are not worth your time and energy :) hugs to you and Celyn and well done for keeping your cool, me I would probably have got out the car and lamped her one :( xx